8 Things You Must Do in Stockholm


A week and a half in Stockholm certainly wasn't enough time to see all the magnificent sights that this city has to offer. But I was able to see a good chunk of the city, from the typical tourist destinations to the cute corner grocery store up the street from where we stayed. So here's my personal recommendations for what 8 things you must do in Stockholm.

1. Visit the Vasa Museum 

This historical museum displays the Vasa ship, which sunk in 1628 and was salvaged and preserved 333 years later. Take in the sight of the mighty ship, or view the skeletons recovered from the wreck. The story of the Vasa ship is actually quite interesting, so tag along on a tour and learn it's tragic history. Anyone under 18 gets free admission, which is a major plus for families or groups of students. 


2. Go island hopping in the archipelago

While I was in Stockholm I visited a beautiful island about a half hour boat ride away from the city. I wish I could remember the name of the specific island that it was to share with you, but if you're looking to get away from the city for a day and experience some beautiful land and water, any island in Stockholm's famous archipelago will do. This was by far one of the most relaxing and gorgeous things we did; we walked the whole island, stopped at a cute cafe for coffee, climbed the massive grey rocks and took in the views. It may have been my favorite adventure out of all of them.

An "artsy" picture of my friend posing on a rock :)

3. Explore Drottingholm Slott

Drottingholm Slott is the private home of the Swedish royal family, but you can take a tour through the public parts of their home and explore the lovely gardens surrounding it. Drottingholm was put on the Unesco's list of World Heritage Sites in 1991, so it's definitely a place worth seeing. 


4. Take a trip to the Skansen Zoo

Skansen is a zoo dedicated to showing animals of Scandinavia. They keep wolverines, reindeer, wild boars, and many other animals that you can go and see. Skansen isn't just a zoo though; they have a few small shops, places to eat, and festivities for every important Swedish holiday. I was there during Allsång på Skansen, a Swedish show held weekly at Skansen during the summer where audience members sing along to popular Swedish songs. It was a lot of fun, and if you happen to be in Stockholm on a Tuesday evening during the summer, stop by and sing along!

Allsång på Skansen

5. Visit the ABBA museum

The ABBA museum is another extremely enjoyable museum to see in Stockholm, even if you don't consider yourself the biggest ABBA fan. It's an interactive exhibit that takes you through the history and success of the Swedish pop group ABBA. I learned a lot more about ABBA than I probably need to know, but it was super interesting and a great way to spend an afternoon.


6. Spend a day in Gamla Stan

Gamla Stan, or the Old Town, was where Stockholm was founded in 1252. It's a amazing historical city center, with charming cobblestone streets lined with dozens of shops, restaurants, and cafés. The Royal Palace is also located in Gamla Stan. This is the official residence of the king and royal family, even though the family lives mainly at Drottingholm Slott. Gamla Stan is a definite must see attraction if you are visiting Stockholm. 

7. Take a tour of City Hall

One of the most famous buildings in Sweden, Stockholm's city hall is know for being the venue of the Nobel Prize banquet every year. It's one of the most touristy sites on this list, but the gorgeous
architecture and grand ceremonial halls can't be missed. The small park outside of the building is equally beautiful, especially on a bright, sunny day. 




















8. Grab some ice cream! 

Now that you've been to museums, zoos, parks, and more, relax with this simple activity. I don't think I've ever eaten so much ice cream in my life as I did when I was in Stockholm. Ice creams stands and shops are almost too easy to find, and you're always within range of a tall sprinkled cone. At one stand I tried licorice ice cream; it was dark grey, almost black, and to tell the truth I was slightly scared of this menacing dessert. But it was actually one of the most delicious ice creams I've ever had, and believe me, I will not rest until I find some in the United States.



I hope you enjoyed this list and that maybe you'll do any of these things the next time you're in Stockholm. I truly loved my time in the city, and I think it's a destination that rivals London and Paris any day. Tell me in the comments, what are your favorite things to do in Stockholm? 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Amazon Associates Disclosure

Haley is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Meet The Author

I'm Haley, a high school student from The United States who finally decided to put my love of writing towards something productive: writing a blog. I love to travel to new places, even though I don't get around to it as much as I'd like, and learn new languages, even though I don't practice as much as I should. Other than that I love good books, iced tea, and lying on the beach in June. You can usually find me in my bed watching The Office, track practice, or out eating good food with good friends. Hope you enjoy The Patient Passport!