Flen - The Swedish Countryside


When I visited Sweden last summer, as well as spending time in Stockholm, we also took some time to stay in the more rural areas of Sweden. My friend owns a cute summer house in Flen, a small town about an hour and half outside of Stockholm. I absolutely loved being in the city; I love how there's things to do and new places to go around every corner. But I was pleasantly surprised by how I appreciated being in Flen as much as I did being in the city. So I'm going to share why I think that you shouldn't limit yourself to bustling metropolitan areas on your next trip to Sweden.

1. Picnicking by the lake

Dining at a cafe in a big city may be exciting, but nothing beats the simplicity and relaxation of eating hot dogs around a fire pit on the edge of a beautiful blue lake. 

Ignore the yellow time stamp (:


2. Running on quiet, scenic paths

Running is always so much more enjoyable when you're someplace beautiful. There were some killer hills on the path that I ran on when I was in Flen, but running past the shimmering lake on a warm sunny day lessened the pain. 


3. Blueberry picking

I'm not even a big fan of a blueberries, but I had a lot of fun picking blueberries in the forest with my friends. We brought them back home and my friend's mom made them into a delicious pie. Also, Swedish blueberries taste so much better than American ones. I don't know how or why, but America needs to step up it's blueberry game. 


4. Swimming in a (freezing) lake

You'd think that by early August the water would be pleasant and warm, but the unusually chilly weather this summer made it feel like we were swimming in the Arctic Ocean. But it didn't matter; it was still loads of fun. And nothing slimy or gross brushed up against my legs, so that was a plus. Swimming in a lake was a little scary for someone who's only ever swam in chlorinated pools, but I would definitely do it again. 



What's your favorite place to visit in Sweden that's not as popular or touristy as Stockholm?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Amazon Associates Disclosure

Haley is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Meet The Author

I'm Haley, a high school student from The United States who finally decided to put my love of writing towards something productive: writing a blog. I love to travel to new places, even though I don't get around to it as much as I'd like, and learn new languages, even though I don't practice as much as I should. Other than that I love good books, iced tea, and lying on the beach in June. You can usually find me in my bed watching The Office, track practice, or out eating good food with good friends. Hope you enjoy The Patient Passport!